Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Bucket List Report: Success!

It happened! A chickadee accepted seeds from my hand today! Twice!

I just wrote in the previous post that I was temporarily postponing this project due to illness. However, I could see from the window that so many birds were visiting today that the morning seed ration was nearly gone already.

I went out to refill the feeder and thought, What the hey. I'll give it one quick go. And that was all it took.

I rested my arm outstretched on the rail under the feeder, as usual, with sunflower seeds and shelled peanuts in my palm. Within seconds, I had visitors. Both nuthatches and chickadees landed on the rail and began hopping toward me from both directions. At first, they darted to the feeder and sped away.

Unable to move a muscle, and keeping my eyes nearly closed, I heard and felt the experience more than seeing it. "Chick-a-deee-deee-deee!" sounded practically in my ear, and the flutter of wings overhead. Furtive hopping on the deck rail ... aaaand ... the quick tickle of a seed being seized from my hand! And again, only a minute later.

This may not have helped my asthma much, but it did wonders for my spirit. Things can only get better from here.


6 comments:

Vilisi said...

Fantastic !!! :)

Rambling Woods said...

Awww...isn't it magical when you get to see something that close and the dees are such lovable little birds. I am glad you were successful and I am so sorry to read about your cold. For some reason when I get one, I too get asthma with them making a simple cold into a miserable time. I hope you feel better soon and that the dees now know you, they will take the seeds. They love peanuts too..

Kerri Farley said...

Yiipee!! I've had them feed from my hand before and it is an experience like none other!! Congrats!
PS - I'm following your blog now :)

Daryl said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

astudentgardener said...

Sounds like something I will have to try myself.

MyMaracas said...

Thanks for cheering me on, folks! This is indeed a magical experience, and I hope you try it too. Let me know if you do, OK?